Saturday 14 July 2012

BB Cream

Due to the fact that the British beauty market has become AWASH with BB creams and cleverly marketed "BB technology" in the past year, I thought it was time for me to review my old favourites. I am referring to these three creams as old, because who knows what they are going to bring out next. Personally, I am finding it extremely hard to keep up with the ever-changing and improving development of this product. However, I am a massive fan of natural looking make-up, forever wishing to be brave enough to leave my house with no make-up entirely. Last year, when I gave my first BB cream a try, I was pleasantly surprised with the compromise which this new product brought to the table. In this post, I will review my three favourite BB creams and share which ones I am eager to try.


No 7 Beautiful Skin BB Cream for Normal/Oily Skin in Fair | Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector in 0-2 Light | No 7 Beautiful Skin BB Cream for Dry/ Very Dry Skin in Fair


Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector in 0-2 Light

The first BB cream I tried was Garnier's "Miracle Skin Perfector". Due to its clever marketing and its claim to even skin tone in a lightweight formula, I'm sure this was the first BB encounter for many. As well as these claims, Garnier also insists that this is an "all-in-one" BB cream, suggesting that many of the qualities that one searches for in a "perfecting" cream are encapsulated into this one formula.

Personally, I do quite like this product. My skin is average to good, other than the occasional monthly breakout/meltdown, therefore I don't usually have any coverage problems. However, when I am forced to endure my skin's monthly tantrum, I don't think this would be the facial product that I would reach for. It is a LIGHTWEIGHT alternative to foundation, which, most of the time, I do enjoy.

What I do not like about this formula is the texture. My skin is the epitome of combination, spanning from the extremely dry to the extremely oily sides of the spectrum. However, even during my dry spells (ha), this formula is just way too oily. My skin can tolerate this cream in small amounts, but if I was to put anymore than that on, I might as well start using cooking oil as a moisturiser. I presume Garnier have encountered this problem themselves, as they have recently released an oil-free alternative. This is something I am eager to try.

In addition to its oily texture, I do think Garnier's idea of "fair" skin is slightly warped. This is a problem I have found with multiple BB cream's I have tried. I would class my skin as fair, however I do have yellow undertones which makes the colour of this cream acceptable for myself. I would in no way class the hue of this cream as "light". Therefore, I would love to try Maybelline's take on the BB phenomenon, as their product is available in a wider variety of shades.



No 7 Beautiful Skin BB Cream for Normal/Oily Skin in Fair


No 7 Beautiful Skin BB Cream for Dry/ Very Dry Skin in Fair

My favourite BB cream of the moment is No 7's Beautiful Skin BB cream in fair. Because of my combination and erratic skin type, I bought one cream for dry/very dry skin and the other for normal/ oily.

This product claims that "one simple step provides a flawless, healthy complexion for a beautifully bare make-up look". This, for my skin, is a fairly accurate claim. I really do like the coverage that this cream provides, however I do use concealer as well as this product. Because No 7 provides three different creams for three different skin types (the third being for normal/ dry skin), the problem of an overly oily or drying texture is eliminated.

However, yet again, the concept of fair is seriously misconstrued. This cream is absolutely perfect for holidays or when my skin is darker, but when I am  my natural FAIR tone, it is a little bit too dark. Applying a smaller amount will fix this problem, but I do think that a reassessment of their formula's tone will improve No 7's product immensely.

If you want to give this cream a go, it's priced at £12.95. I know this is a bit steep for a BB cream, but with the ever present £5 off No 7 vouchers, the price becomes A LOT more reasonable.

Love, Sally x

No comments:

Post a Comment