Wednesday 13 June 2012

Awards Show Preparation

Sooo, for my next blog post I thought I'd take you through a little bit of my routine as I get ready to go to the Media Awards at Newcastle University. Due to the unlucky fact that I have a lecture five while six and the Awards begin at seven, it seems I will have to get ready in our lovely student union TOILETS. So basically,good preparation is paramount. My plan is to get everything ready, except my outfit, by my lecture at 5pm, even if I risk being that girl who looks like she makes WAY to much effort to go to lectures.

Firstly, because I am rocking the unattractive pale skin tone I have so fortunately been blessed with, I decided a little bit of sunkiss would do me no end of favours. Last night, I applied a generous layer of Palmer's Natural Bronze Body Lotion. I absolutely LOVE the colour this makes me without being patchy or streaky. It is one of my favourite gradual tanners, as well as Garnier's equivalent. I will also put a layer of Sally Hansen's Tights in a Tin on before I get dressed, as it is another fake tanner I cannot live without.


Secondly, I thought last night would be a good time to paint my nails, as I have the tendency to smudge my nail polish. Because I'm wearing a fairly nude dress, I thought a light hue with some glitter on top would be perfect. I'll be the first to admit, I have a secret love for tack, so I may have gone a bit overboard on the glitter. I used Model's Own polish in "Tropical Sun" with a coating of Revlon's number 261.





Before I got into bed, I cleansed and applied a layer of Soap & Glory's Night Cream, as it leaves me with clear skin and a more even skin tone.



 
 
Fortunately, I only managed to smudge my big toe as I got into bed not realising that my toes were tacky to say the least. Minor adjustment to make but no biggie. In the morning, I had some spare time on my hands so I decided to use a hair mask. I have tried LOADS of hair masks but my favourite is Lee Stafford's Treatment for Hair that Never Grows Past a Certain Length. WARNING - do not be fooled by that title. I seriously dont think that anything but nature and time has been the cause for my minor hair growth in the last couple of months. However, it does leave my hair so soft and after a few uses a lot stronger. I put a generous amount of the mask on and sit for about an hour.

Next, I let my hair dry naturally and put it in bendy rollers. Even though these make me look like a blonde, not-so-cute Curly Sue after I first remove them, I love the finished product after the curls have been shaking out a bit and heat has been applied. I feel that these are such a good alternative to layering my hair and using my GHD's to curl, as it's less effort and loads better for my hair. Because I've been blonde for about 4 years now, its nice to find kinder alternatives.
 
 
So for my make-up, I decided I'd look slightly bronzed with highlighter on my cheekbones and a brown smoky eye. However, after considering what lipstick to pair with this look, I decided I had none. For a while now, I have been a BIG fan of red lips, but for tonight, I decided I wanted a different hue. I can't decide between either of these yet but I'm thinking the darker one. Also, I recently treated myself to a new Loreal Million's Lashes mascara as it's my all time fave.



 
 
For my outfit I decided to re-wear one of my old dresses. I got this dress in H + M last year and aboslutely love it. I decided to pair it with my favourite, plain black slingbacks that I got for thirty quid in last year's Kurt Geiger sale and my fail-safe metallic clutch bag from Accesorize.
 
 



 
 
And thats it!! Now all I need to do is sit through my lecture, get changed in the toilets and get giddy off free champagne.

I also need to practise my dissapointed yet graciously understanding expression, as I'm pretty convinced I will not get the award for Best Feature Writer for which I am nominated. Hopefully pics of the completed outfit to come!

Love, Sally x

No comments:

Post a Comment